Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a technique for drawing together, in a systematic way, the environmental effects of an organisation’s proposed activities or a development project. It is a legal requirement in many countries and settings as part of the urban planning and renewal process and its findings enable mitigation and remedial measures to be taken wherever necessary for the protection of the people and the environment. This course examines the principles and practical dimensions for carrying out EIA.
• The EIA Process: overview and projections
• Why should a company carry out EIA?
• Procedures and methods for undertaking EIA
• EIA as an Environmental Management System (EMS) Tool
• Community participation in the EIA process
• EIA and the politics of the planning process